Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chicken Salad

Eating fresh whole foods is so satisfying.  Not only do I know that there are no preservatives, chemicals, or manipulation of my food when I prepare it freshly, it just tastes better!  In my last blog, I wrote about putting a whole chicken in the crockpot last night in order to make broth in preparation for Thanksgiving.  Well this morning I found myself with a whole chicken along with that broth.

What to do?  What to do?  I considered BBQ chicken, and I considered a casserole, but we have had both of those kinds of items recently so I decided to try to find a way to make a fresh chicken salad for sandwiches.  And since my family usually only eats the white meat of the chicken, having all these thighs and legs was a bit of a problem.

Chicken salad it was!  After removing all the meat I could from the bones, I added the following to it:
2 Stalks of organic celery - chopped
2 organic green onions cut small
1 smashed ripe avocado
2 Tablespoons of lime juice
A bunch of Cilantro.. some was frozen, some fresh, and some dried. (I love Cilantro)
Salt and Pepper
Some celery salt and some onion salt
About 1/2 cup of homemade yogurt
About 1/4 cup of mayonnaise

It was delicious!  We had sandwiches made on fresh homemade whole wheat bread.

I enjoyed the crunch of the celery and the "guacamole" style flavor of the chicken salad.  I might even add more avocado and more lime next time.  I like to stay away from mayonnaise as often as possible but needed some to make the right consistency of chicken salad.

I think some crisp bacon might have been good chopped in it and a slice of fresh tomato would have been great too, if I had any.  What else would you add?


No comments:

Post a Comment