Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Monday, November 5, 2012

DIY - I am making my own Essential Oils tonight

I was at the store looking at scent infused oils and essential oils and the price of them was pretty prohibitive...  and since I want to experiment with lotions, shampoos, and other personal care items, I wanted the ability to make them smell good!  So today I researched making my own essential oils.

While high quality essential oils are produced using steam or distillation, it is possible to create an oil at home.  I have a little crockpot that is used for dips and things (or should I say "unused" and in the cupboard), so I am devoting it to infusing oils. 

Tonight we have started a small batch of Rosemary essential oil.  I love the scent of rosemary and wanted to buy some the other day but did not.  But I DO have some growing in the windowsill.  So tonight we started almost 1/4 ounce of Rosemary (it was actually about equivalent to 2 Tablespoons) in almost 1 cup of olive oil in the little crockpot.

I think I am going to try some different methods and different scents.  I have herbs growing on the windowsill and some mint outside in the garden.  I will have vanilla bean coming in the mail to try and I want to try some of the citrus ..  grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime... the rinds will be thrown away anyway so I might as well use them.

Here is the information I found... when making these essential oils at home, they will not have the same potency, purity, or therapeutic aromatherapy effects as those commercially produced.  The oils I am making are best used in personal care products or candles and should not be eaten.  Here are 6 possible methods for making your own essential oils at home.


Method #1
Place plant material into a crock pot filled with distilled water. Cook on low for 24 hours. Leave crock pot open and allow it to sit for a week. Collect the oil off the surface of the water and put it into a dark, glass container. Cover with a piece of cloth and allow it to sit for a week to evaporate off any extra water. It will last for about 12 months.


Method #2
Place ground up plant material in a cotton or linen bag. Tie it shut and place it in a pot of distilled water. Bring water to a boil and simmer slowly for 24 hours. Collect the oil off the surface of the water (you may have to squeeze the bag) and put it into a dark, glass container. Cover with a piece of cloth and allow it to sit for a week to evaporate off any extra water. It will last for about 12 months.


Method #3
Half-fill a large glass bottle with olive oil (or almond, jojoba, or rapeseed). Cram as much plant material as possible into the bottle. Cap it and let it sit in a cool, dark place for 24 hours. Shake it. After three days strain it through cheese cloth and put liquid in a dark, glass container. (If scent is not strong enough add more plant material and repeat process.) It will last for about 6 months.


Method #4
Stir 1/2 ounce of plant material into 2 cups olive oil (or almond, jojoba, or rapeseed). Cook in crock pot on low for about 6 hours. Strain the mixture with unbleached cheese cloth and put liquid in a dark, glass container. It will last for about 6 months.


Method #5
Place 1 Tablespoon ground up plant material, 1/2 cup of olive oil (or almond, jojoba, or rapeseed), and 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar into a small bottle (cap on). Put it in a warm place (sunny window) for three weeks. Shake it well twice a day. Strain the mixture with unbleached cheese cloth and put liquid in a dark, glass container. It will last for about 6 months.


Method #6
Soak plant material in a bottle of rubbing alcohol for two weeks (cap on). Pour it out into a wide container. Allow alcohol to evaporate. Collect the oil left in the container and put it into a dark, glass container. It will last for about 6 months. Please note that this method should NOT be consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment