Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

In the Kitchen - The Ricotta Failure

Well, there goes the lasagna idea.. a least for right now.  I had a little problem with the ricotta cheese.  I think it actually started with the yogurt I made.  I may have learned a little bit more about this whole milk-processing thing...  I sure hope so ..  I hate kitchen failures.. I feel wasteful.

To make yogurt, you start with milk and heat it to 185 degrees before cooling it to 110 degrees and adding the yogurt starter.  Then keep it warm (on a heating pad) for 7 hours until you get yogurt.  I have done it countless times and it turns out well.  When it becomes yogurt, I strain it through a cheesecloth and separate the whey from it before storing the yogurt (greek style) in the refrigerator.  The whey still has value so I save it in the refrigerator.

I usually use the best milk I can find .. which is from our local dairy, Pickett Fence.  What I love about that milk is that it has been pasteurized but not hemogenized so the cream floats to the surface.  I like the whole milk best because of the richness and fresh taste.  That milk has no added hormones and I trust the source, plus I can buy it at Whole Foods, which is much closer to my home that the Creamery is.  We were at the store a few days ago and they were out of Pickett Fence whole milk.  Being creative, I got the Whole Foods brand of whole milk instead to make my yogurt. 

The yogurt was a pretty dismal failure.  I got just a little tiny bit of yogurt out of a regular sized batch.  I should have known then not to try the ricotta cheese with that whey but I did it with high hopes anyway. 

To make ricotta cheese you are supposed to leave the whey out at room temp for 12 - 24 hours to promote the acidity.  Seemed kind of gross but I guess no one has died from room temperature whey.. so I did it.
Then the instructions said to bring it to 203 degrees over heat, stirring continually.  I did that and as you see, the thermometer was right there to guide me.  It got foamy on the surface just under the boiling point, just like the instructions said it would.
Once the ideal temp was reached, the instructions said to take it off the heat and let it cool to room temp.  This is when the ricotta cheese was to form.  HA!

A few hours later, I looked at the whey ...  I could see that there was some separation of liquid from a milky substance lurking in the bottom of the pan (wish I had gotten a picture for you).  Ricotta is a soft cheese and is supposed to solidify into a curdish substance.  They say sometimes it floats and sometimes it sinks.  Check... mine must have sunk.

Then the instructions say to carefully ladel out the curds if they are on top or pour off the whey if it is on top.  I poured off the whey carefully and slowly, exposing the milky white substance in the bottom of my pan.  Here is what I got:
See that little bit of thick "milk" clogging up my cheesecloth?  Really?  That is not formed enough to be any type of cheese!  It is a ricotta failure... so sad to waste.

I did save the whey that I used to try the ricotta.  It is in the refrigerator and can be used in place of water in recipes for added nutrition.  At least I have that...  but back to the ricotta drawing board and the lasagna I had planned will have to wait until later.  I was looking forward to making homemade noodles next!

So I think the ricotta failure is due to the quality of the milk.  I know that I get great results from the non-hemogenized milk I usually use, so I would have to assume that the extra processing of the store brand milk prevented good curd formation.  I am now SOLD on the Pickett Fence milk!  I will buy no other!  I would love to experiment with raw milk.  Did you know that raw milk is illegal to sell in Iowa?  It is legal in Missouri and many other states but not here.  Living in the center of the state makes me sad for this fact.  I know there is a lot of controversy and fear over raw milk but someday I will try some for my cheeses and yogurts!  I know someone out there has to have a healthy milking cow... so sad to live in the suburbs today.  I want a cow... and maybe some hens to lay eggs... and maybe a goat.. ... ...  someday..  I can dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment