Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Friday, November 2, 2012

In the Kitchen - Tomato Bisque Soup

I had a busy day in the kitchen today.  I baked and pureed a pumpkin, made homemade hashbrowns to freeze for later, made peanut butter cookies, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread, dehydrated banana chips and pineapple, froze some sprouts for use later, froze some fresh peppers and saved seeds, and made the most delicious tomato bisque soup!!

I chose the soup recipe to try because my friend Cheryl challenged me to find a homemade healthy tomato soup recipe.  I love a good challenge almost as much as I love fresh tomato soup.  I just happened to have rescued the rest of my sister's end-of-the-season tomatoes from her counter top day before yesterday and they needed to be made into something... never waste!!  They were in some sorry shape, as she had picked them several days before that, so I did have to waste a few..  felt so bad to throw them away. 

But what I had left I blanched, peeled and threw in the food processor (the $5.00 dinosaur loud machine that works only if you hold the cover down - latch seems broken - but no tomato explosions today.. thank goodness).
Tomato Bisque Soup Recipe
Ingredients:
  • About 2 pounds fresh tomatoes or 2 (14.5-ounce) cans whole tomatoes
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes (I omitted these ... don't trust a processed cube of something.. no loss on flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I used the Turbinado Sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup flour  (whole wheat and freshly ground after sprouting)
  • 4 cups milk  (whole milk free of added hormones)
If using fresh, peel the tomatoes as directed above. Place tomatoes in food processor and process until almost smooth. In a medium pot, combine all ingredients except butter, flour and milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.

Press the mixture through a sieve, and set aside.
My $5.00 strainer worked wonders after cooking the tomato puree to remove the seeds...
In a large saucepan, melt the butter; blend in flour until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook two minutes, then reduce the heat, and gradually add the tomato mixture, stirring until smooth and heated through.
Could have probably used more tomatoes in the end.  It is a little light in color but great on taste!!!

So Cheryl, this one is for you!!  I will need to buy some good cheese now to make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it on Sunday for lunch!  (if there is any left after tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment