Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

In the Kitchen - Another Explosion

I don't even like mushrooms.

I made cream of mushroom soup just a few minutes ago and had to cut up 5 cups of mushrooms, another 1/2 cup of onions, add it to 1/8 tsp of thyme, and 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock and boil it for 15 minutes.  Then the recipe called for me to puree it...

There is that word that I have come to hate:  PUREE... for me it just spells trouble.  I put it in the Magic Bullet blender just out of the boiling pot and turned it on.  Immediately I was covered with piping hot mushroom puree, as was the entire corner of the kitchen again.  I feel like my mother when she told me she did not know how she drove her car through her neighbor's garage door last year when I tell you I don't know how that blender exploded.  When I got it turned off, the lid was still on.

Journey says she saw it spew through the pour spout...  I hate mushrooms... and puree!!  I screeched loudly as boiling hot mushrooms stuck to my arms and landed on the front of my shirt!  I still have red marks all over my forearms where I am burned.  But after cleaning up the kitchen, I glowered at that blender, put a cloth over the top and turned it on again.  HA!!  Pureed mushroom and onions!!

Then melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in the pan and whisk in 3 Tablespoons of flour.  Pour in 1 cup of half and half and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.  Add back in the wicked mushroom/onion puree and cook over medium heat until it thickens, stirring the whole time.

Done.  The kitchen got cleaned, along with the cupboards, my shirt, the surrounding appliances, the floor, the wall, and everything else in the path.  The offensive soup is now in a glass jar in my refrigerator to be added to the green bean casserole on Thursday.

Happy Thanksgiving!!  Tomorrow I am supposed to get my new KitchenAid Stand Mixer and I sure hope I have had my last explosion in the kitchen for a while!!

Time to test the SmartKlean laundry ball again on this t-shirt, although I know it will work.. there is no trace of pumpkin left on the last shirt I exploded on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment