Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Bread Pudding

When life gives you ruined hopeless pumpkin bread, make bread pudding!

That is my new motto.

And that is exactly what I did yesterday.  After totally ruining a loaf of pumpkin bread by NOT STRAINING MY pureed pumpkin (even though Sue told me to strain it - I forgot..), I was left with a doughy undercooked gooey loaf (I use that word loosely to describe the pudding I was left with).  It was tasty though.  The flavors were definitely there even though it did not cook well.

So last night I looked for a bread pudding recipe.  I have never made bread pudding before but figured it might just fix this bread problem I had and pumpkin bread pudding kind of sounded good.

I took this recipe and cut up the soggy pumpkin bread into it.  I left out about 1/2 cup of the milk the recipe called for, figuring that since the bread was not exactly dry, it would not soak up as much of the liquid.  I also deleted the butter for the same reason!  I was right and this recipe is wonderful.  EVERYONE in my house is eating Pumpkin Bread Pudding and loving it!  We put ice cream on it too...  mmmmm... enjoy!



Bread Pudding II




Submitted By: ELLENMARIE
Photo By: raha
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Servings: 12
"This lightly spiced, extra thick bread pudding really hits home. We suggest using a rich egg bread or a moist white loaf in this recipe"
Ingredients:
6 slices day-old bread
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.
Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
3.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
4.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment