Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Monday, October 29, 2012

In the Kitchen - Spinach Orzo Salad Recipe

Going to Whole Foods is so much fun to do at lunchtime!  I get the shopping done while sampling my way through the store... much better tasting their food than the "mystery samples" that Sam's Club used to offer up every Saturday.  It is while sampling that I get frequent inspirations for recipes. 

Spinach Orzo Salad.  Sounds weird, looks yummy.  Tastes divine!  I tried it first at Whole Foods and then looked at the list of ingredients in it and decided it was for me!!  This reminds me of a greek flavored salad.  The orzo adds bulk, the spinach is fresh spinach, I love Feta cheese and balsamic vinegar and onion only hurts those around you.  Onion is actually very good for you!  When I jotted down the list of ingredients, I actually came home and did a search for the recipe... here it is!

Spinach and Orzo Salad

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo
pasta
1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach
leaves, finely chopped
1/2 pound crumbled feta cheese
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar


Directions:

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.


My favorite kind of recipe:  EASY, EASY, EASY..  

I must admit here that I have never had Pine Nuts.  When I make this recipe I use Pepitas or Sunflower seeds... I am cheap, remember?  It tastes fine with them and still has that crunch so good enough!  Some other things I have thrown in this treat is artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, or olives.   You can experiment with different tastes and add to this cold side dish.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment