Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Counting my Blessings....

I just got an email from a dear friend who saw a sign in someone's yard "Free Walnuts".  She thought of me right way and sent me a note to tell me where the good foraging was.  I feel so blessed to have such wonderful and thoughtful friends!   And I have SO many of them.  I can never make each of them feel as special as they are to me but it is so nice to hear from people, whether it is just a note that they love the blog or a referral of some sort, like the walnuts!

My family is pretty special too!  Poor Mike eats all the food I prepare and always seems to enjoy it, and I know with the experimentation I have been doing, it is not always "top-notch".  But I am getting better!  Even Journey has embraced the healthier foods and now when she has a meal, there is a serving of some sort of vegetable there that she is not fond of and I never get a complaint from her.  She just eats it.  Bless her heart.. I have told her that the right food is "fuel" for her body and her brain.  That seems to mean a lot to her.

I have extended family that have told me they don't like "healthy food" and even request that I not cook for them.  I feel sad about that.  How do they know they don't like "healthy food" and what do they think that means?  Yesterday I made a pot of chili with the same ingredients others use to make a pot of chili.  The meat was a good quality, the beans were fresh beans that I soaked from scratch.  The onion was fresh.... really???  What do people think is healthy food and why does it scare them so much?  Is it just change?  What a sad statement about our present world when folks think healthy food tastes bad but don't question what is in that McDonalds food...

Speaking of McDonalds, Journey had lunch there today with a family member and came home with a belly ache.  She says she doesn't want to eat McDonalds again ever!  I think her system is growing accustomed to real food and this junk out there being passed off on us as food is not settling like it used to.

Back to friends...  Social media has become one of my biggest loves in the last 2 years after losing my job.  In the winter especially, I tend to feel a little more isolated and without "work friends" I sometimes miss the variety of people to talk to and share with.  Facebook has become full of great friends that I gather as often as possible and love to share with.  I see most of them on occasion and because of the facebook connection, I feel like I am partially caught up on their lives.  Thanks to all of you who share so I can keep up..  you don't realize how much it means to me to stay involved in your lives.  Many times I post questions to my group of friends on Facebook and they always come through for me!!  The answers are there.  Today I bought a cooking tool and seriously, I only thought "That looks really handy and it is only $5.00".  I brought it home and posted the picture on Facebook and about a dozen friends told me the many uses for this tool.
I can't wait to use it when I can applesauce, tomato juice, or make jam next canning season!!  When I do, I will remember how so many people came to my aid tonight and helped me find out what that tool is used for.

I want to live a life of service.  That is what makes me happy.  So many people in the last week have contacted me asking about a healthier alternative for a recipe or a favorite food.  That is how the rice crispy bars came into being today and how I found some recipes for homemade crackers that I want to try.  I love to get questions, comments, and answers...  we can all learn and grow together.

So thank you for visiting this blog.  Thank you for being among my friends.  Thanks for your knowledge, input, and your questions.  I am counting my blessings tonight for all the people in my life and all the lessons they have taught me and will continue to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment