Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Do you LOVE Biaggi's Foccacia?

One of my favorite places to eat when I do eat out is Biaggi's Restaurant in WDM.  I secretly only have desire for the delicious warm homemade Foccacia bread they bring to the table, and of course have to have it dipped in olive oil with pepper and parmesan cheese.  I think I only order from the menu because I think I should.  Although I will not say the other food is not delicious.  It is, and I rarely rave about restaurant food (almost as often as I eat at them - which is not much).

This Foccacia bread is truly unique because it is made with mashed potatoes and diced red onions.  I think that might be what gives it such a unique flavor and great consistency!

Spurred by my mother's request for their Foccacia bread, I found a recipe for a copycat version of that bread and made it last night.  As is the case recently, the bread did not turn out as beautiful as I had hoped....  I clearly needed to have a bit stiffer dough.  It did bake clear through and taste DELICIOUS and tastes very similar to the Biaggi's bread I love!  I am going to share the recipe with you the way I was instructed to make it... but beware, if your dough is a too wet, you need some more flour!


Focaccia
Courtesy Nathan Lane, chef at Biaggi's

Start to finish – 2 hours (including proofing)
Serves 10 to 12 people

Red onions, small dice 1/2 cup + 3tbsp
Whole milk 3/4 cup
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Kosher salt 2 tsp
Whipped mashed potatoes 1 1/4 cup
Fresh yeast 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Warm water, 105 degrees 1/2 cup
Olive oil 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Unbleached flour 3 cups

Equipment needed: Kitchen mixer with dough hook attachment, mixing bowl, sheet tray (13 x 18 inches), whisk, parchment paper, small sauce pot (6 quart), thermometer

Cut onions to small dice and place into 6-quart sauce pot with milk, oil, salt, and mashed potatoes. Turn on low heat, and warm to 100 °F (exactly).

When the mixture is heated, place the fresh yeast, warm water (105 °F exactly), and oil into a large mixing bowl and whisk until yeast dissolves.

Next, combine the flour, heated mixture, and dissolved yeast and place in the kitchen mixer bowl. Mix on low speed using the dough hook for 1 minute to incorporate the flour. Once incorporated, mix on medium for 2 minutes until a ball has formed. (Note: Check dough for consistency; you may have to add more water or flour depending on the temperature and humidity in the kitchen.)

Remove dough hook attachment and allow bread to proof until it has doubled in size. Remove dough from mixer and place on a pre-oiled sheet tray and spread it out evenly by lightly pressing down on the dough. Top the focaccia with a light coating of oil and the topping of your choice (salt, onions, fresh herbs, tomatoes, etc.).

Let the dough rest for the second proofing, allowing the bread to rise 1 inch (approximately 1 hour).

Lastly, bake in an oven at 350 °F for 10 minutes, rotate bread to ensure even cooking, and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes until golden brown or as needed by your oven. Let rest for 5 minutes, cut, and enjoy.


Enjoy this bread.. don't be intimidated by the temperature requirements.. just use a candy thermometer to double check yourself.  I find that I can pretty well gauge the warmth of the water with my hand now but I double check myself with the thermometer on occasion too!

Of course I substituted one cup of whole wheat flour for one of the cups of white flour and it is still delicious.  I also do not have a mixer with a dough hook and that certainly would have helped.. I had to mix it all by hand.  Maybe for Christmas (I will keep dreaming).  LOL

So try this recipe and see what you think!  Let me know how yours comes out!  Part of the fun of cooking is experimentation and the feeling of accomplishment when something comes out PERFECT!  




No comments:

Post a Comment