Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Molasses Cookies

I can't wait to share this recipe with you... it is a favorite at our house and I just discovered that the addition of a secret ingredient will result in even more fantastic results.  So Shannon, this one is for you.  I hope you love these molasses cookies!!

Another secret of the kitchen that I have found is PARCHMENT PAPER.  Never used it before recently but I use a sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet for almost every cookie I make and they do not burn, are easier to get off, and faster to bake.  Love parchment paper and I reuse it several times in a row... waste not want not!  (it also means I don't have to wash the cookie sheet)

Molasses Cookies


2 cups flour (I use freshly ground sprouted wheat flour but you could substitute other types of flours as well)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsps ground cloves
2 tsps ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar (traditionalists may want to use brown sugar lightly packed but I use Organic Whole    Cane sugar unrefined and unbleached)
1/4 cup oil  (this can be any oil but healthy options include grapeseed or coconut oil)
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg, at room temperature
1/3 cup BUTTERMILK  (secret ingredient)
1/2 cup Raisins (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In my trusty kitchenAid I add the sugar, oil, egg and molasses and beat until mixed up.  Then I add on top of that the flour, baking soda, and spices and beat some more.  Now it was at this point that I believed my dough to be a little thick (don't want to overwork the kitchenAid - LOL) and I added the 1/3 cup of buttermik.  

I added about 1/2 cup of raisins to the cookie dough before dropping it onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheets.

WOW~~  What a difference the buttermilk made in those cookies.  I will never make another cookie without buttermilk, even if it means I have to add a little more flour to a recipe to make up for the added moisture.  This batch of cookies was puffier and softer.. chewy in a good way.  Usually this recipe turns out kind of crunchy and flattened out cookies but not this time.. plump cookies!

Scoop the dough with 2 spoons onto the baking sheets making sure to leave some room as they will expand during baking. I did not have to flatten them but just put them in the oven all mishappen and puffy

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 2-3 minutes before transfering them to wire racks to cool.

Now try to keep out of them!!  But if you give in to temptation, have a big glass of milk ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment