Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Frugal - Saving money on laundry while staying healthy

Your skin is the largest organ in your body! Everything put against or on your skin is absorbed. We are surrounded by toxic chemical substances in our lotions, soaps, perfumes, cleansers, and household chemicals. Laundry products are among the worst offenders for chemicals that remain in our clothes, which remain against our skin all day. A year or so ago, I discovered that I could replace fabric softener sheets (one of the worst toxic offenders) with rubber or wool dryer balls that help prevent static and soften clothes in the dryer without residue. I use the dryer balls sold by Norwex and have loved them. And since they are reusable, I save money there on my laundry!
Then I bought a front loading washer, as my old one wore out. Not being one to read directions, I began using my new washer. It took a few months but an odor started accumulating in my washer. There seemed no way to remove it and then it started permeating my clothes. A bit of research later (I actually then read the washer manual), I discovered that laundry soaps accumulate in my washer and leave a residue that grows molds and bacteria and it STINKS! Now how did soap have residue if it is meant to clean? And how does it grow icky things if it is soap? That got me wondering so I did a lot of cleaning of my washer and a lot more research!
What I found out was that laundry soaps are not good for us, our washers, or our clothes! It was just a few weeks ago that I solved this problem when I ran across a new way to wash clothes. I found the SmartKlean Laundry Ball. ordered one and began to use it. In just a few uses of my washer ball, the smell left my washer! My clothes were clean, they did not have any smell, and the were even softer after washing and drying than they were when I used detergent.
This SmartKlean laundry ball impressed me with the following features that were good for my family and my budget: I don't need to use any detergent! (The ball is filled with ceramic beads and a magnet that changes the pH and molecular structure of the water to allow the water alone to clean the fibers of my clothes) It is safer for my family's skin because the detergent residue is not left in the clothes and against our skin. It is safe for the environment because no soap residue is washed back into our sewer system. It is gentler on my washer, extending the life of the washer by preventing the clogged pipes and growing icky things in it. YUCK! And it saves me money! One washer ball lasts for 365 loads of laundry, which for my family of three is about a year's worth! Plus the ball works in cold water (hot is not recommended) so I save energy costs! The last feature would be great too if I could figure out how to work my front loading machine. LOL (maybe I should read the manual again).. you don't need a rinse cycle with the laundry ball because there is no soap to rinse out.
The retail cost of my laundry ball is only $45 for those 365 loads of clothes, which averages just less that 12.4 cents per load! If you want to find out how to get one of these to try for yourself, send me an email or comment on this blog and I will reply to all comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment