Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Foraging in Suburbia - Garage Sales/Flea Markets

Funny thing about "stuff".  I used to think I needed all the new and best gadgets.  Maybe it was just that I had a good job, a steady paycheck and I thought I should spend it every 2 weeks.  That quickly changed when I lost my great job and now live very carefully.  It is not that we are cheap.  We are THOUGHTFUL about spending.  Knowing how fragile one's financial situation can be first hand has made us re-think our priorities.

I don't want you to think I don't want "stuff".  On my wishlist is a weaving loom, a morter and pestle, a popcorn maker for the family room, new flooring in my family room, and lots of other stuff that I someday I want to have.  My priorities have changed though since I am home more than away and with all the cooking I do, there have been many new recent items on my wishlist that I have had to wait for or shop for wisely.  It is no longer about new clothes or shoes or Victoria Secret lotion and perfumes.  Now it seems to be different items I am looking for to help me live a better life. 

Here are the most recent things I have found in the last month through Craigslist, garage sales, goodwill, etc.

I wanted a way to shred and chop and process foods without grating my knuckles (another story for another day).  I looked at Bed Bath and Beyond, Younkers, Kohls, Target, basically all over and only found a food processor (at a price ticket of $200 or so).  In waiting and watching I found a Griscer Deluxe Food slicer with 7 different blades on ebay and got the bid for $20 (this is a vintage stainless steel manual crank tool that currently sells for about $200 new). I love it!  Right after that I found an older model large bowl food processor (for other kinds of jobs like making homemade fruit/yogurt ice cream) at a garage sale for $5.00.  I was so excited!  Now I can process any food in the kitchen with the right tool and my total cost was $35 (shipping included). 

I also found myself doing a lot of canning as a new suburban pioneer.  I was using a water bath method for canning with an old stock pot that was cumbersome.  I was pricing pressure canners at the stores and again, they were over $100 for a nice one.  Then I stumbled upon a great pressure canner at a garage sale for $25 (it was only used one season, had instructions and the original box).  Along with the pressure canner the lady threw in 60 Quart size ball jars!  Those Ball jars alone would have cost me $40 so I thought that was a great deal! 

Today I went foraging, thinking about a way to grind my new little acorns into acorn flour.  I was focusing on looking for a coffee grinder of sorts and the second garage sale I hit, I found a wonderful deluxe Mr. Coffee coffee grinder for $5.00.  BINGO ~ SCORE!!! 

It seems that when I have a positive attitude, some patience, an open eye and mind, and a little faith, what I need or want falls into my lap.  I am mentored by a lovely woman who taught me "You get what you think about".  So in ending, make sure your thoughts remain on good things, positive outcomes, your own worthiness, and don't forget FAITH.  When we believe something will happen it has a much higher likelihood that it will happen just that way.  And hold on to your money...  there is not really any reason to have things.. ... they won't make you happy.  Surround yourself with the right people and the right mindset and happiness comes without things attached. 

HAPPY FORAGING!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment