Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

All I can say is "WOW"....  where have I been all these 52 years that I have never thought about stuffing a baked sweet potato until I ran across this recipe and tried it.  I am hooked!  All the ingredients are high in nutritional value and it was delicious and very filling.  I ate 1/2 my sweet potato for a meal and was quite satisfied.

If you don't like any particular ingredient in this recipe, it is adaptable and you can get creative with mixing flavors until you have created something out of this world.  Here is how I did it.

Baked Twice Stuffed Sweet Potatoes


Preheat the oven and stab each potato to allow a little steam to escape.  (Of course wash the outside of the potato thoroughly before you begin).  Rub the outside of the potato with olive oil or coconut oil and salt it.  Place them in a glass baking dish and bake for about an hour until tender.

After they have baked and are cool enough to handle, cut the tops off of them like this and carefully scoop out the majority of the soft sweet potato.
 Place all the scooped out sweet potato into a bowl and add the following ingredients:  (These measurements are for 5 sweet potatoes so if making fewer, adjust accordingly)
1 Tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
1 cup Chopped broccoli
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup dried Cranberries (I used dried cherries)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (I substituted chopped onion for the powder)
Salt and pepper to taste

 Now stuff all that mixture back into your potato shells and cover loosely to bake for about 15 minutes to heat them through.

I added a little cheat to mine.  Before filling them up with the filling I put butter and a drizzle of honey inside each shell at the bottom with some salt to make the skin good enough to eat!  If I would have had some Feta cheese on hand I would have thrown a little of that in too. This made a fantastic meal and very nutritious!!  My body thanked me for the good fuel that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment