Welcome to the Suburban Frontier as I share my experiments, successes, and failures while learning more about clean living, organic eating and gardening, and easy and delicious nutrition. I will share what I have learned and recipes along the way. Stop back every day for more fun!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Just in time for super bowl Sunday.. a recipe that is healthy and good.  Wholesome and great with a veggie tray to snack and keep the weight off while nourishing your body with vitamins!

I don't usually crave salads in the winter.  I usually eat warm vegetables all winter and save the cool entrees for the hot summer months but since finding this recipe for buttermilk ranch dressing, I have been going through fresh spinach and mixed greens like a fiend!

Here is the recipe and it is so easy to make:

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1/3 cup plain yogurt (I prefer my own homemade greek-style yogurt)
1/3 cup buttermilk (did you know you can make buttermilk yourself?)
3 TBSP mayonnaise (you can leave the mayo out or use your own homemade mayo)
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard (I didn't have Dijon on hand so used some regular mustard)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP finely chopped fresh chives
1/4 tsp salt

Whisk all of the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.

Dressings will keep in the refrigerator for a few days and seem to get tastier on day 2 - 5 as the flavors mix well.

I bought a little cruet at the thrift store with a lid and actually just mix and shake all the ingredients in that.  You can get creative with ingredients too!  One time I did not have buttermilk and just made it with whole milk.  This time I added dried dill to the mixture.

I was thrilled to find this easy recipe that did not include any canola, soy, preservatives, or other chemicals that are so hard to avoid in commercial salad dressings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment